It's more than just a day at the legislature -- it's a look at all three branches of government, a lesson in North Carolina history, and a fun day of springtime in Raleigh, too!
Join us TUESDAY, MARCH 12 and meet other homeschoolers from around the state, as we join together to express our appreciation for our elected officials and remind them of the great success of home educators in North Carolina.
We especially encourage homeschool graduates to participate. It will be a very effective endorsement of home education for legislators to meet our accomplished homeschool alumni. We will provide special identification for homeschool graduates who take part in Capital Fest.
- Meet and greet lawmakers from your area
- Learn about the legislative process
- Introduce your children to elected officials
- Learn about the Supreme Court
Plus you'll be in the heart of Raleigh's museum district, featuring the N.C. Museum of History, the N.C. Museum of Natural Sciences, and the State Archives!
The event is totally free!
Please Disregard the discount information. There are no member discounts for this event.
Capital Fest 2013 Schedule of Events, March 12
- 8:30-8:45 – Welcome – NCHE Board of Directors
- 9:00-9:30 – Workshop – The History of the NC Supreme Court, Danny Moody, Supreme Court Historian
- 9:00-10:30 – Attend Supreme Court Arguments, 30 people max, arguments start at 9:30, Don't leave until end of first case. (Usually, arguments last about one hour.)
- 10:00-10:30 – Workshop - Information Session about General Assembly
- 10:45-11:15 – Workshop – Legislative Process, How a Bill Becomes a Law, Keifer Wynn
- 11:30-12:15 – Lunch – History Museum Outdoor Picnic Area (Order a Chick-Fil-A box lunch or bring your own. Box lunch must be ordered by March 6.)
- 12:30-1:30 – Legislator Meet and Greet (NCHE has invited legislators to come and greet us as group. Remember to respect and honor their willingness to serve our state in the legislature.)
- 2:00 – House Session Begins, The gallery is available for families to sit and listen.
Notes: All workshops and the legislator meet and greet will be in the auditorium on the third floor of the legislative building, 16 W. Jones Street Raleigh, NC 27603. The Supreme Court address is, 2 East Morgan Street Raleigh, North Carolina 2760
Make an Appointment to Meet with Your Legislators
We encourage homeschool families to schedule an appointment with their individual legislators. Go to http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/representation/WhoRepresentsMe.aspx and follow the directions to find out the names and contact information about your representative in the NC House and your senator in the NC Senate. We suggest that you make your appointment between 9:00 and noon.
North Carolina Museums
The North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences and the North Carolina Museum of History have been notified about the influx of families that could be arriving on Capital Fest day. The self-guided tours of each museum take about one hour.